- WATCH BRANDS
- CONCIERGE SERVICE
- 360º SHOWROOM
- OUR PROMISE
- CONTACT US
- OUR TEAM
The story of A. Lange and Sohne is one of two parts, but ultimately the story of a dream and a passion for watchmaking that stood the test of time. In 1845 in Dresden, Saxony in Germany Ferdinand Adolph Lange started to make beautiful timepieces. His son Richard Lange took over the business in 1868 as co-owner with his brother. The ravages of the bombing of Dresden in the final days of WWII destroyed the factory and the subsequent creation of East Germany under soviet control meant the business disappeared altogether.
With the breaking down of the Berlin Wall in the background in late 1989, a symbol of re-unification and renaissance, the great grandson of Ferdinand, Walter Lange established Glasshutte for the second time in 1990. The very first collection to be launched was the award-winning A. Lange and Sohne Lange 1 with the outsize date and offset dials.
The A. Lange and Sohne 1815 collection refers to the date of birth of Ferdinand Adolph Lange whilst the A. Lange and Sohne Richard Lange and the A. Lange and Sohne Saxonia collections both honour the rich family heritage of the first 100 years of existence.
Since its re-launch in 1990 the Lange family remained true to the original spirit embodied by the motto ‘Never stand still’ and in 2005 became one of only a handful of companies able to make their own balance springs, a hugely complex process. The precision engraving and handmade build ensures that only a few thousand pieces are produced each year. Collections such as the A.Lange and Sohne Zeitwerk , incorporating a digital display into a traditional looking dial driven by a complex mechanical movement with a triple disc jumping mechanism continue to win awards and set A. Lange and Sohne apart from the rest.